Major companies have responded to last summer’s protests over racial equality by contributing to organizations and causes that seek to improve race relations in the United States.
Apple has donated time and resources to its Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, which focuses on “education, criminal justice reform, and economic equality.” And this month, in celebration of Black History Month, Apple released a limited-edition Black Unity Apple Watch, as well as free wallpaper and a watch face in the Black Unity colors.
If you’d like to celebrate Black History Month without spending $400 on a new Apple Watch, here’s how to download and install Apple’s Unity watch face and wallpaper on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch.
Download the Black Unity Wallpaper
On Apple’s Watch page, click Find Out More to open a pop-up menu about the Black Unity collection. Scroll down to the Unity on Display section, then select Get Wallpaper under Mac, iPad, or iPhone to install wallpaper on your respective device.
- Click Get Wallpaper to add it to your downloads folder, or wherever you’ve instructed downloads from the web to go.
- Open the location for your web downloads to locate the wallpaper, right-click on the image, then select Set Desktop Picture.
- From apple.com/watch in the Safari browser, tap Get Wallpaper underneath iPhone or iPad.
- Tap Download to confirm.
- Once downloaded, tap the blue download arrow in the upper right of the browser screen.
- Tap the image in the download window to get a full-size view of the wallpaper.
- Tap the Share button in the lower-left corner, then tap Save Image to add to the Photos app on your device.
- Open the Photos app and locate the image.
- Tap the Share button in lower-left corner.
- Tap Use as Wallpaper, then adjust the wallpaper to your preference.
- Tap Set, then decide if you want to use the wallpaper as either the Lock Screen, Home Screen, or Both.
Apple Watch Wallpaper
You don’t have to buy the limited-edition Black Unity Collection Apple Watch to get the associated watch face or band. The band is $49 and can be ordered from Apple. The watch face is now available for the Series 3 and up Apple Watch, and can be added and tweaked from the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Open the Watch app on your mobile device.
- Tap the Face Gallery icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Find and select the Black Unity theme and tap the Add button.
- Tap the My Watch icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Swipe to the end of the list of watch faces to see the Black Unity theme.
- Swipe left or right on your current watch face until you reach the Black Unity theme.
To enjoy this watch face, you must be running at least iOS 14 and watchOS 7 on your respective devices. Once you have the watch face, you can further customize it with complications.